Vaccination (practical skills for all vaccines)
This open course covers all practical skills required to allow the Pharmacist to vaccinate adults and children over the age of 2 years old.
Exciting addition: Training will also include throat swabbing to enable the pharmacist to offer a Strep A test and treat service.
The National Minimum Standards for Immunisation Training and the associated Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training set out the knowledge and skills that healthcare professionals undertaking vaccination services need to have. Pharmacists who will provide the Flu Vaccination Service must have completed practical training in vaccination that meets these requirements.
NHS England has determined that pharmacists providing the Flu Vaccination Service need to attend face-to-face training for both injection technique and basic life support training every two years.
It is recommended that if you are new to vaccination, you should complete both the Vaccination (practical skills for all vaccines) and Vaccination refresher (online) courses.
Duration: 4½ hours
- Pharmacists new to vaccines
- Pharmacists wishing to upskill from just flu
- Pharmacists who have had full training but not regularly delivering vaccines
At the end of the course delegates will be able to demonstrate:
- How to set up for a vaccination clinic
- Safe intramuscular and subcutaneous injection techniques
- Intranasal administration of vaccines
- Child positioning for vaccination
- Reconstitution of vaccines
- Adult and Paediatric basic life support
- Recognition of anaphylaxis and other adverse reactions
- Administration of adrenaline via an ampoule or any auto-injector
- Practice under supervision
- Demonstration of safe vaccination techniques
- Demonstration of basic life support skills for adults and children
- Successful completion of a theory quiz
How we use your data:
ECG collects your personal information when you place an order for products and services, use our website, attend/complete our courses or contact us. We will use this information to provide the services requested and maintain training records.
For more information explaining how we use your data, please see our Privacy Notice.