Vaccination (practical refresher)
This open course is a refresher for confident vaccinators only and covers all practical skills required to allow the Pharmacist to vaccinate adults and children over the age of 2 years old.
The National Minimum Standards for Immunisation Training and the associated Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training set out the knowledge and skills that healthcare professionals undertaking vaccination services need to have. Pharmacists who will provide the Flu Vaccination Service must have completed practical training in vaccination that meets these requirements.
NHS England has determined that pharmacists providing the Flu Vaccination Service need to attend face-to-face training for both injection technique and basic life support training every two years.
It is recommended that if you are new to vaccination, you should complete both the Vaccination (practical skills for all vaccines) and Vaccination refresher (online) courses.
Duration – 2½ hours
Suitable for – Pharmacists who have had previous practical training in all skills required and who are regularly vaccinating.
At the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Safe intramuscular and subcutaneous injection techniques
- Intranasal administration of vaccines
- Adult and Paediatric basic life support
- Recognition of anaphylaxis and other adverse reactions
- Practice under supervision
- Demonstration of safe vaccination techniques
- Demonstration of basic life support skills for adults and children